HAVE YOU MET JOY?


November 19, 2017
33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

First reading (Proverbs 31:10-13, 19-20, 30-31)
Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 128:1-5)
Second reading (1 Thessalonians 5:1-6)
Gospel (Matthew 25:14-30)

I remember when I first met one who came by the name of Joy. At first, I did not really notice the presence of this someone. But gradually, it became apparent. I found more meaning in my life through Joy. Joy made me realize how much blessed I am. What a God-given gift is Joy. As much as I’d like to keep Joy in my life and to myself, I cannot, especially since I’m a seminarian.

To be clear, I’m not talking about a girl or any person named Joy, if that ever crossed your mind. A reflection on the gospel reading for this 33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time may help me explain more about who Joy is. Jesus spoke of a parable wherein a master gave three servants talents (money): the first received five; the second, two; and the third, one. The first and second servants, took to work and multiplied what was given to them. The third, however, buried his master’s money, keeping its value as it was. When the master returned, he checked on them, praised the first and second servants, and called them to “Come and share your master’s joy.” But the master called the third “wicked and lazy” for being contented with just keeping the money in the ground.

Come and share your master’s joy. I believe that we each have blessings we receive and take advantage of in life: opportunities to help others or to nurture our talents, praises and compliments from friends or even strangers, rewards from our bosses/leaders, gifts from relatives and special people, prayers from those who love us, and even avenues for developing virtues in the midst of our enemies or those whom we do not get along with very well. These blessings make our lives brighter and more meaningful. These blessings make us realize how blessed we are. These blessings are what we may call, and what I refer to as Joy –and not just generic joy, but our master’s Joy, because these blessings, this Joy, comes from God.

Come and share your master’s joy. This is what God calls us to do –to share his joy. When we make good use of our blessings, use them to do good to others, we are already sharing God’s joy to others. We are multiplying the value of these blessings given to us by God, just as the first and second servants did. Not only do these blessings, this Joy, have value to ourselves, their value is also seen and appreciated by other people to whom we share them.

This is why I cannot keep Joy to myself especially since I am a seminarian. It is because Joy, the blessings I receive from God, is supposed to be shared with others, just as God did. Now, God is calling us to count our blessings, to appreciate the Joy that God gives us, and to share them with others. Share them in your own special way.

Have you counted your blessings? Have you met Joy? Come and share your Master’s Joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KNOW WHO YOU ARE

CONVERSION OR CHANGE?

LOOK